Using the Production Studio
First-Time User Guide
Checking the Studio Calendar
- Always check to see that the studio is available on the calendar before you place your request. Occasionally, there may be events outside of studio hours. This is likely a Media Center event, such as one of our Feminist Film Series screenings or a taping of "The 1 Train is Delayed"!
Please Note: If you are a faculty or staff member looking to utilize the studio for a course or event, please contact email@example.com directly in lieu of placing a studio reservation request.
Choosing a Time for Your Reservation
- The studio is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 5pm.
- Please place your reservation at least 15 minutes apart from another reservation on our Media Production Studio calendar.
- Reservations can last for a maximum of four hours at a time.
- Your reservation will have a designated point-person who will be available to assist you at any point during your time in the studio. Reservations placed for times outside those listed above will not be accepted because there will be no one to staff them.
- In order to make sure that we have enough time to prepare the studio, we ask that all reservations be made at least 3 business days in advance of the desired date.
- Please do not place a request over four weeks in advance of the desired date; it is important to us to avoid pre-calendaring and the monopolization of the space so that all members of the campus community can have equal access.
- Patrons are only allowed to have four upcoming reservations at a time.
Submitting a Request & Receiving Confirmation
- Once you’ve checked the calendar and found an ideal time for your reservation, you may begin placing your reservation request.
- Once your request is submitted, it will be reviewed by a Media Center staff member. If there are no problems with your request, you will receive an email entitled “Sloate Media Studio Reservation Confirmed.” This email will contain important details about your reservation, including the name and contact information of your reservation’s designated point-person, and where to meet them on the day of your reservation.
- Please do not submit a Studio Request Form on behalf of another individual or a club if you will not be the person checking in.
- If you have any questions or concerns about reserving the studio, email firstname.lastname@example.org before placing your request.
The Media Center & Your Project
- While placing your reservation request, you may notice questions about your project and what equipment you plan to use. The Elsie K. Sloate Studio has an in-house selection of lights, cameras, and sound equipment; this equipment is housed in the studio and cannot be removed.
- There is also an audio booth in the studio which is ideal for recording voiceovers and podcasts.
- If you look through the list and do not see the equipment that you need for your project, be sure to check the offerings at IMATS; however, be sure to read about the IMATS checkout policy before placing an equipment request.
- If you don’t know where to start with your project, have no fear! Contact us at email@example.com at least a week in advance of your reservation to set-up a meeting.
What to Expect at Your First Reservation
- On the day of your reservation, please check in with your designated point-person at least 10 minutes before your reservation. They will be waiting in Milstein 105, the Post-Production Lab, unless stated otherwise in your confirmation email.
- Please be punctual; if you are 15 minutes late to your reservation without notice, your reservation will be canceled.
- If you need to cancel your reservation, do so at least 24 hours in advance of your reservation. Two consecutive no-shows or last-minute cancellations will result in a semester-long ban from using the studio.
- During your first reservation, you will receive a one-time mandatory 15 minute orientation session.
- If you have any issues, please speak to your reservation’s designated point-person; they will be available to help during your time in the studio.
- When you are finished in the studio, please put all of the equipment back in its designated place, clean the studio, and check out with your designated point-person.
- Please note that the end time of your reservation is when you have to be fully packed-up and out of the studio, so factor in time to clean up. Most likely, another reservation is scheduled directly after yours.