Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program
EFMP 2023 Applications are Now Live!
Please submit your application through this form: https://forms.gle/dxfVSqhCoEMNnB9R8
Applications will be due on January 31, 2023 at 5pm ET.
EFMP grantees will be announced on February 10, 2023 via email.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Media Center’s Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program (EFMP) starts off with three workshops in the Fall semester that focus on the pre-production process for narrative shorts*.
EFMP workshops are open to all, regardless of whether one intends on applying to the program at the end of the semester or not. Students are not required to attend the workshops in order to apply for the mentorship program, though it is recommended, especially for first-time filmmakers.
If accepted into the program, students will be granted funding for their film and one-on-one mentorship to support the production and post-production logistics of their projects.
The program is seeking ambitious, visionary Barnard students who have an idea for a film, and the drive to get it made. Our goal is to offer resources to populations traditionally marginalized in media production settings, including people of color and those with financial limitations.
*We no longer support short documentary projects.
Program resources include:
- Assistance with the creative process from pre-production to post-production
- Personalized mentorship through one-on-one meetings
- Three workshops on screenwriting, lookbook aesthetics, script breakdowns, shot lists, schedules, planning, and budgeting throughout the semester
- One-on-one support for script feedback and logistics planning
- Technical training on advanced production equipment and editing programs
- Funds as needed-- Each selected project will receive production funds.
Participants will exit the program with practical work skills in filmmaking and a completed short film that they can submit to film festivals, add to their reels, and apply to graduate film programs.
Applicants can apply as individuals or as small creative teams, and must meet the following requirements:
- Barnard undergraduate student (Freshman are discouraged from applying)
- Currently enrolled (Graduating seniors are eligible)
- Have a strong idea and a finished script for a short film
- Have a need for support in order to realize their vision
- September 19, 2022: Interest Meeting
- October 14, 2022: Workshop 1 - Introduction to Short Films, Screenwriting, and Lookbook Aesthetics
- November 4, 2022: Workshop 2 - Script Breakdowns and Creating a Shot List
- December 9, 2022: Workshop 3 - Planning and Budgeting Your Film
- December 9, 2022: Application opens: https://forms.gle/dxfVSqhCoEMNnB9R8
- January 31, 2023 - Applications due at 5pm ET
- February 10, 2023 - EFMP Grantees announced