Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program
The Media Center Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program is a semester-long program that will focus on providing creative support and funding to undergraduate Barnard filmmakers as they produce their own short film.
The program is seeking ambitious, visionary students who have an idea for a film, and the drive to get it made. Our goal is to offer resources to populations traditionally marginalized in media production settings, including women, people of color, and those with financial limitations.
The Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program is generously supported by the Barnard College Diversity & Inclusion Initiative. For any questions related to the program, e-mail email@example.com.
Program resources include:
- Assistance with the creative process from pre-production to post-production
- Personalized mentorship through one-on-one meetings throughout the semester
- Bi-weekly hands-on workshops on Screenwriting, Pre-Production Planning, Budgeting, Storyboarding & Aesthetics, and Directing Actors
- Feedback on project progress and script drafts
- Logistical support with schedules, budgets, etc.
- Technical training on advanced production equipment and editing programs
- Funds as needed-- Each selected project will receive up to $1,500 in production funds.
Participants will exit the program with practical work skills in filmmaking and a completed short film that they can submit to film festivals and add to their reels.
Applicants can apply as individuals or as small creative teams, and must meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate student
- Currently attending Barnard (Graduating seniors are eligible)
- Have a strong idea and a finished script for a short film that they're passionate about creating
- Have a need for support in order to realize their vision
- January 21, 2020: Applications open
- January 31, 2020: Information Session
- February 21, 2020: Applications due
- February 25-28, 2020: Finalist interviews
- March 2, 2020: Mentees announced
- March-April: Themed workshops on different elements of filmmaking
- May 2020: Film productions take place
- Fall 2020: Final films due
The Spring 2020 application is now open and can be found here. Applications are due on February 21, 2020.