Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program
The Media Center's Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program (EFMP) consists of workshops throughout the Spring semester that focus on elements of pre-production and writing for narrative short films. EFMP workshops are open to all, regardless of whether one intends on applying to EFMP at the end of the semester or not; however, only those who attend 3 out of 5 workshops will officially be invited to apply to EFMP. If accepted into the program, students will be granted funding for their film and one-on-one mentorship to support the production and post-production logistics of their projects.
The program is seeking ambitious, visionary Barnard students who have an idea for a film, and the drive to get it made. Our goal is to offer resources to populations traditionally marginalized in media production settings, including people of color and those with financial limitations.
*We no longer support short documentary projects.
Program resources include:
- Assistance with the creative process from pre-production to post-production
- Personalized mentorship through one-on-one meetings
- Five workshops on Screenwriting, Pre-Production Planning, Budgeting, and Storyboarding & Aesthetics throughout the semester
- Feedback on project progress and script drafts
- Logistical support with schedules, budgets, etc.
- Technical training on advanced production equipment and editing programs
- Funds as needed-- Each selected project will receive production funds.
Participants will exit the program with practical work skills in filmmaking and a completed short film that they can submit to film festivals, add to their reels, and apply to graduate film programs.
Applicants can apply as individuals or as small creative teams, and must meet the following requirements:
- Barnard undergraduate student (Freshman are discouraged from applying)
- Currently enrolled (Graduating seniors are eligible)
- Have a strong idea and/or a finished script for a short film
- Have a need for support in order to realize their vision
- Attended 3 out of the 5 EFMP Spring workshops
- February 4, 2022: 30-minute Info Session
- February 11, 2022: Workshop 1 - Introduction to Short Films, Aesthetics, and Treatments
- February 25, 2022: Workshop 2 - Script Workshop
- March 11, 2022: Workshop 3 - Creating a Lookbook
- March 25, 2022: Workshop 4 - Revision Workshop (Script to Screen)
- April 1, 2022: Workshop 5 - Production books, budgets, and EMFP Application feedback
- April 28, 2022: Applications due at 5pm ET
- May 5, 2022: EFMP Grantees announced