The Media Center Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program is a semester-long program that will focus on providing creative support and funding to undergraduate Barnard filmmakers as they produce their own short film.
The program is seeking ambitious, visionary students who have an idea for a film, and the drive to get it made. Our goal is to offer resources to populations traditionally marginalized in media production settings, including women, people of color, and those with financial limitations.
Program resources will include:
- Personalized mentorship through one-on-one meetings throughout the semester
- Assistance with the creative process from pre-production to post-production
- Feedback on project progress and script drafts
- Logistical support with schedules, budgets, etc.
- Technical training on advanced production equipment and editing programs
- Funds as needed-- Each selected project will receive up to $1500 in production funds.
Participants will exit the program with practical work skills in filmmaking, and a completed short film that they can submit to film festivals and add to their reels.
Who can apply?
Applicants can apply as individuals or as small creative teams, and must meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate student
- Currently attending Barnard (graduating seniors are eligible)
- Have a strong idea for a short film that they're passionate about creating
- Have a need for support in order to realize their vision
February 22, 2019: Applications due
March 1, 2019: Participants announcd
March 11, 2019: Program begins with treatment/screenplay feedback and a Creative Incubator Session
The Creative Incubator Session will allow filmmakers to workshop their proposed project ideas through creative activities and discussion.
March 25, 2019: Final scripts due
April 1-30, 2019: Film productions take place
May 1, 2019: Post-production begins
August 31, 2019: Final films due
Fall 2019 (Date TBA): A special film on-campus screening event to showcase our filmmakers' final works
Ready to apply?
Submit an online application.
The Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program is generously supported by the Barnard College Diversity & Inclusion Initiative. For any questions related to the program, e-mail email@example.com