Feminist Film Series
The Feminist Film Series is a year-round feature film screening series programmed and hosted by the Barnard College Media Center. This semester we are partnering with the Athena Film Festival to offer live Q&As with two brilliant directors. We engage with the community to challenge what feminist film is, and aim to create a positive discourse for fellowship and social change amongst media makers and media audiences.
Fall 2020: Resistance + Resilience
Miss Juneteenth (2020) Dir. Channing Godfrey Peoples
Q&A with Channing Godfrey Peoples on Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 7 pm. Register here.
About The Film
Miss Juneteenth, revolves around a former beauty queen who holds down a household, while prepping her rebellious teen daughter Kai to become a beauty queen—even if Kai wants something else.
Prior to the conversation with Channing, we invite you to watch the film *for free* through the Clio platform. We will send a link to all that register on Friday, November 13.
Rafiki (2019) Dir. Wanuri Kahiu
Q&A with Wanuri Kahiu on Thursday, 10 December 2020 at 7 pm. Registration Coming Soon.
About The Film
Rafiki is the story of romance that grows between two young women, Kena and Ziki, amidst family and political pressures around LGBT rights in Kenya.
Prior to the conversation with Wanuri, we invite you to watch the film *for free* through the Clio platform. We will send a link to all that register on Friday, December 4.
- The Decline of Western Civilization (1981) - Dir. Penelope Spheeris - February 6
- Selena (1997) - Dir. Gregory Nava - February 13
- No One Knows About Persian Cats (2018) - Dir. Bahman Ghobadi - February 20
- Josie and the Pussycats (2001) - Dir. Deborah Kaplan, Harry Elfont - February 27
- What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) - Dir. Brian Gibson - March 5
- Amy (2015) Dir. Asif Kapadia - September 12
- Sharp Edges (1986) Dir. Sandra Luckow vs. I, Tonya (2017) Dir. Craig Gillespie - September 26
- Shirkers (2018) Dir. Sandi Tan w/ Q&A with Sandi Tan - October 10
- No Home Movie (2015) Dir. Chantal Akerman - October 24
- The Queen of Versailles (2012) Dir. Lauren Greenfield - November 7
- Hail Satan? (2019) Dir. Penny Lane - November 21
- Sita Sings the Blues (2008) Dir. Nina Paley - January 31
- The Films of Jodie Mack (Various) Dir. Jodie Mack w/ Q&A with Jodie Mack - February 22
A selection of short films that feature domestic and recycled materials, and unleash the energy from overlooked and wasted objects. Screened in Lehman Auditorium in Altshcul Hall, with a reception following in the Altschul atrium.
- Frida (2002) Dir. Julie Taymor - February 28
- Persepolis (2007) Dir. Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi - March 14
- Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015) Dir. Marielle Heller - April 4
- Paprika (2006) Dir. Satoshi Kon - April 18
- The Watermelon Woman (1996) - Dir. Cheryl Dunye - September 24
- Lady Snowblood (1973) Dir. Toshiya Fujita - October 8
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) Dir. Ana Lily Amirpour - October 22
- The Witch (2015) Dir. Robert Eggers - October 29
- Daisies (1966) Dir. Věra Chytilová - November 12
- Mustang (2015) Dir. Deniz Gamze Ergüven - November 26
- Pariah (2011) Dir. Dee Rees - December 10