Feminist Film Series
The Feminist Film Series is a year-round feature film screening series programmed and hosted by the Barnard College Media Center. We engage with the community to challenge what feminist film is, and aim to create a positive discourse for fellowship and social change amongst media makers and media audiences.
All screenings take place in the Media Studio (Milstein 105C) at 6pm, unless stated otherwise.
Spring 2020: Music
The Decline of Western Civilization (1981) Dir. Penelope Spheeris
Thursday, February 6 at 6pm
Director Penelope Spheeris surveys the late-1970s Los Angeles punk scene: X, Black Flag, Fear, Germs, Catholic Discipline, Alice Bag Band.
Selena (1997) Dir. Gregory Nava
Thursday, February 13 at 6pm
The true story of Selena Quintanilla-Perez, a Texas-born Tejano singer who rose from cult status to performing at the Astrodome, as well as having chart topping albums on the Latin music charts. #AnythingforSelenas
No One Knows About Persian Cats (2018) Dir. Bahman Ghobadi
Thursday, October 10 at 6pm
Iranian musicians Negar and Ashkan look for band members to play at a London concert - and the visas that allow them to leave Tehran to do so.
Josie and the Pussycats (2001) Dir. Deborah Kaplan, Harry Elfont
Thursday, February 27 at 6pm
A girl group find themselves in the middle of a conspiracy to deliver subliminal messages through popular music.
What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) Dir. Brian Gibson
Nonfiction Shorts Film Festival
Thursday, March 26 at 6pm
The Media Center will be hosting its annual spring film festival with a focus on nonfiction short films by and about womxn*! Check back here for more details in the coming months.
- Amy (2015) Dir. Asif Kapadia - September 12
- Sharp Edges (1986) Dir. Sandra Luckow vs. I, Tonya (2017) Dir. Craig Gillespie - September 26
- Shirkers (2018) Dir. Sandi Tan w/ Q&A with Sandi Tan - October 10
- No Home Movie (2015) Dir. Chantal Akerman - October 24
- The Queen of Versailles (2012) Dir. Lauren Greenfield - November 7
- Hail Satan? (2019) Dir. Penny Lane - November 21
- Sita Sings the Blues (2008) Dir. Nina Paley - January 31
- The Films of Jodie Mack (Various) Dir. Jodie Mack w/ Q&A with Jodie Mack - February 22
A selection of short films that feature domestic and recycled materials, and unleash the energy from overlooked and wasted objects. Screened in Lehman Auditorium in Altshcul Hall, with a reception following in the Altschul atrium.
- Frida (2002) Dir. Julie Taymor - February 28
- Persepolis (2007) Dir. Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi - March 14
- Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015) Dir. Marielle Heller - April 4
- Paprika (2006) Dir. Satoshi Kon - April 18
- The Watermelon Woman (1996) - Dir. Cheryl Dunye - September 24
- Lady Snowblood (1973) Dir. Toshiya Fujita - October 8
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) Dir. Ana Lily Amirpour - October 22
- The Witch (2015) Dir. Robert Eggers - October 29
- Daisies (1966) Dir. Věra Chytilová - November 12
- Mustang (2015) Dir. Deniz Gamze Ergüven - November 26
- Pariah (2011) Dir. Dee Rees - December 10